Why DebateDrills? Because we are obsessed with the art of debate. We’ve spent tens of thousands of hours thinking about how to teach the core skills required to be an excellent debater: public speaking, critical thinking, position writing, and strategic decision making. Since founding, our students and staff have dominated the competitive results. Our students regularly champion the most competitive debate tournaments and round robins in the United States and they all have their unique styles. We have a proven track record of helping you excel in the types of debates that you want to pursue.
The results speak for themselves. Every year, the best students - of all ages and backgrounds - come to us from across the United States to help them hone their debating skillsets. We are subject matter experts in all-things competitive debate, and we are excited to continue pushing the boundaries of innovation and argumentation in academic debate.
Our mission is to provide world-class resources to accelerate the growth of learners interested in argumentation, logic, public speaking, and interscholastic speech and debate. We have personally experienced and benefited the life-changing benefits in improving key skills such as public speaking, writing, deep research, critical thinking, and effective collaboration.
Using innovative and personalized methods to help each learner reach their potential, DebateDrills offers comprehensive, world-class instruction in the form of both our award-winning private coaching services and our thoughtfully designed and easily accessible free resources for learners of all ages, skill levels, and goals.
Thank you for visiting our website and taking time to explore our offerings. My name is Paras Kumar. I founded DebateDrills in July, 2015 to provide the type of resources I wish I had access to when I was a high schooler interested in competitive debate at Rancho Bernardo High School in San Diego, California from 2007-2011.
Since I founded DebateDrills, I have poured thousands of hours of work into developing this project. It has been a labor of love and watching it grow from a 1-person operation to a professional coaching organization has been fun.
Effective debate coaching helps learners quickly diagnose and fix "unknown unknowns". We help our students work smarter and cut the amount of time they need to invest to achieve success. Every staff member has a proven track record of excellence and will coach you the way I wish I was coached when I was a student.
Paras Kumar | Founder
Throughout everything we do, DebateDrills students, coaches, and staff are guided by a core set of values. Click on a value below to learn more about us.
Form Over Content
Process Over Results
Respect and Integrity
Mental Health and Headspace
The best debaters in the country consistently seek DebateDrills' expertise. Regardless of what “style” or debate event you want to excel in, we will help you rapidly improve. We will challenge you to improve technically, think more critically, and help fill in holes in your research and strategies. The results speak for themselves - we have extensively coached students who have achieved success at the highest levels of Varsity competition in the United States:
•Aisha Sheikh (2017 Harvard Varsity LD Invitational | 9th Place)
•Ari Azbel (2017 New York City Varsity LD Invitational | 1st Place)
•Asher Towner (2019 Long Beach Varsity LD Invitational | 1st Place)
• Brennan Caruthers (2013 California Varsity LD Round Robin | 1st Place)
• Carolyn Zou (2017 Walt Whitman Varsity LD Invitational | 1st Place)
• Eric Deng (2017 TOC Varsity LD | 9th Place)
• Ishan Bhatt (2019 TOC Varsity LD | 1st Place)
• Jackson Lallas (2015 TOC Varsity LD | 5th Place)
• Jacob Pritt (2012 TOC Varsity LD | 1st Speaker)
• Jonathan Jeong (2020 Voices Round Robin Varsity LD | 2nd Place)
• Jong Hak Won (2017 Stanford Varsity LD | 2nd Place)
• Katherine Fennell (2016 Glenbrooks Varsity LD Invitational | 3rd Place)
• Kristen Arnold (2018 Alta Varsity LD Invitational | 1st Place)
• Matthew Chen (2018 Lexington Varsity LD Invitational | 1st Place)
• Meera Sehgal (2020 Voices Round Robin Varsity LD | 1st Place)
• Muhammed Khattak (2017 Valley Varsity LD Invitational | 1st Place)
• Parker Whitfill (2017 TOC Varsity LD | 1st Place)
• Regan Grishaber (2012 TOC Varsity LD | 3rd Place)
• Rex Evans (2018 TOC Varsity LD | 2nd Place)
• Sekou Cisse (2017 UC Berkeley Varsity LD Invitational | 2nd Place)
• Tej Gedela (2020 Stanford Varsity LD Invitational | 1st Place)